When rooftop tents first hit the market they were revolutionary, mostly because your tent and mattress (the two things that take up the most packing space) were now conveniently stored on your roof. Of course, there are many more benefits to owning a rooftop tent, but likewise, there are plenty of cons, too.
Fortunately, most of these drawbacks are associated with soft-shell rooftop tents, as well as heavy canvas units that are difficult to flip open. For these reasons, our Expedition Tent has always followed a hard-shell design.
The benefits of this setup include:
- A gas-strut assisted design that takes seconds to open and close
- A three-point entry / exit layout so you don’t have to plan your campsite around your tent
- A more aerodynamic shape
- You can close the tent with your bedding inside, and lastly…
- Our Expedition Tent has always followed a hard-shell design.
What’s more, hard-shell tents typically last longer than their soft-shell equivalents, they’re also easier to clean, and far more resilient to rain, snow and windy weather conditions. But most of all, from an overland-travel perspective (where you’re moving from one camp to the next), you just can’t beat the convenience of a popup rooftop tent; which is why our ever popular Expedition Tent is now in its 3rd Generation design.
Comfort and convenience. Buying a rooftop tent is no different to buying a household bed, where comfort is critical; which is why we’ve specced our Expedition Tent with a generous 75 mm high-density foam mattress. We’ve also included a reading light, USB charging ports (for your mobile phone), a 12V power socket, and a series of storage pockets where you can keep your keys, books and even your shoes.
Functionality. Thanks to the Expedition Tent’s robust aluminum housing, you have the option of fitting our Alu-Cab load bars. This means you can still pack large bulky items on top of your tent. Whether it be a solar panel, camping table, kayak, mountain bike, or our very own Rack Tray, the Gen 3 Expedition Tent doesn’t prevent you from packing gear on your roof like other rooftop tents do.
Insulation. Recognizing that our tents are used by extreme adventure travelers across the globe, we wanted to build a pop-up roof tent that offered the best possible insulation against blazing African heat, as well as sub-zero temperatures found in Europe and North America. That said, the Gen 3 roof structure and base are generously insulated with a closed-cell foam lining that offers excellent comfort and insulation all year round. We’ve also included an awning cover over the tent’s rear door, which helps to keep rain, snow and frost off the rear opening.
The Debate on Top or Bottom Opening Doors. Although it’s a topic of hot debate, we prefer top-opening doors and windows for the following reasons: If you’re camping in moderately cold conditions, but you still want a bit of ventilation, you can unzip a small portion of the tent flap to allow air to escape. Even with most of the tent door unzipped and open, you still get too enjoy privacy while lounging in bed.
Please Note: Due to the size and weight of the Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition Rooftop Tent, it is exluded from free shipping.
Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition Rooftop Tent Features
- Lightweight aluminum construction
- Built-in cargo rails for the fitment of optional load bars
- Hard-shell structure that can carry additional gear – solar panels, kayak, mountain bikes or camping table
- Streamlined aerodynamic profile
- 3-point access with a door / window on each side
- Gas-strut assisted pop-up design
- Opens and closes in seconds so you can still go on that late-afternoon game drive
- 75 mm high-density foam mattress with zip-off cover
- Quick release ladder that stows inside your tent when closed
- Storage pockets
- Internal USB power points
- Internal 12V plug point
- Internal lighting
- Rear door awning to keep the entrance dry
- Dual-layer canvas for better insulation and protection
- Wind resistant design thanks to single-sided opening
- Top and bottom foam insulation for class leading insulation
|Length: External 2300 mm / internal 2100 mm|
|Width: External 1 400 mm / internal 1300 mm (@ shoulders)|
|Height: (exterior, closed): Front 210 mm / Rear 280 mm|
|Height: (exterior, open): 2000 mm|
|Height: (interior, open): 1600 mm|
|Weight: Approximately 88kg|
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.